On the first day of Christmas
The Global Chameleon Presents to You:
1st Day of Christmas: DIY Inside Out Ornaments
12 Days of DIY Christmas Ornaments all started with a simple day of crafts with my nieces. As I went through last years Christmas bins, I stumbled upon some craft ornaments and knew exactly what we were going to do with our weekend. This fun craft provided hours of entertainment.
Heres what you’ll need:
- Craft Ornament- (Plastic or Glass)
- Acrylic Paint (I used CraftSmart brand from Michael’s)
- Paint Brushes
1. Start by taking the cap off of craft ornament and setting cap aside
2. Pick the color you want the base of the ornament to be, squirt a quarter size into the ornament
3. Stick finger inside the opening of the ornament, and shake until the paint is covering the entire inside of the ornament
-Kid Friendly: Slowly rotate the ornament around until the paint is covering the entire inside of the ornament. Squirt more paint as needed
4. Once the ornament is a solid color, dump it upside down in a cup or plate so that all of the excess paint can drip out of the ornament. I recommend using plastic shot glasses for this and letting them sit overnight
5. Print out a picture of the Inside Out characters for reference
6. Using your Sharpie, begin drawing your first character on ornament. If you mess up, you can take a cotton ball with nail polish remover on it and simply wipe the sharpie off of the ornament.
Sadness was the first Character that I painted, and when I realized…if I could paint on an ornament, anyone can! I consider myself a creative person, but drawing is not my strong suit. Going step-by-step really helped though, focusing on shapes first and adding detail. My nieces went crazy for these! I think they turned out so cute!
I did a whole set of them and was pleased! What do you think? Will you try making your own Inside Out ornaments? Send me pictures!